Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Lent, Day 12: Lent Pales in Comparison to Ramadan

 If you think Lent is easy, try Ramadan

In Lent, Christians give up one habit or indulgence or necessity for 40 days. Admirable fast. Tough enough. But, come on, is it that hard?

In Ramadan, Muslims give up, from sunrise to sunset every day for a month, every intake of food or liquid.

Try it.

I have. Just to know the experience. Just to empathize with my Muslim friends and neighbors. I purchased the iPhone app. I followed the simple guidance. I woke up earlier to eat before sunrise. I held off eating or drinking until sundown.

I have not yet made it more than 10 days.

It is hard. Without a household or community who is supporting you in the journey, it is beyond difficult.

If you bypassed Lent (meh!), try Ramadan fasting that begins in April.

I will begin Ramadan fast again this year. I hope to complete it.

Completing either Lent or Ramadan or whatever intentional act of self-denial for the sake of spiritual renewal is the potentially transformative thing, it seems to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Renewing Urban Neighborhoods from the Inside Out

Principles for comprehensive community development and urban neighborhood renewal I’m convinced there’s never been a better time to invest i...